THE SANDISFARNE HERD, THE ORIGINAL HOME OF ‘LONG LIVED COWS’
110 COWS HAVE ACHIEVED LP100 TONNES OF MILK EACH IN THE LAST 13 YEARS, 3RD HIGHEST RECORDED INTERNATIONALLY
Andrew and Sue Sanders, along with sons Matthew and Julian (Sanders Farms Ltd), own the Sandisfarne and Sandersfarms Herds on the Isle of Man. Here are some of the achievements of the herds:
- JULY 17- has brought the grand total of LP100 tonne cows to 109 !!!!
- No 1 in UK, as cited by HUK’s Holstein ‘Journal’ Feb 2012 for the highest number of long lived cows, the closed herd having over 3% of the national number of LP100 tonne cows!
- RABDF / NMR Gold Cup Winners 2003
- No. 1 NMR Production Herd in the UK 2003, 2004
- Farmers Weekly Dairy Farmer of the Year 1994
- ‘Tomorrow’s Farmer’ 2011 Sanders Family, Isle of Man Dept of Agriculture
- ‘Sandisfarne’ B&W herd No 50 in national genetic listings – Ayrshire ‘Sandersfarms’ portion of the herd, no 3 in national genetic Dairy Co listing.
- ‘Blackberry’ family have achieved 4 generations of LP100!
- on-line herd brochure
- SANDISFARNE HERD NOW ON FACEBOOK!
More details about the herd include:
- 600 pedigree Holsteins and SWRedX
- Herd CLOSED for the previous 40 years. No special treatment for ANY cow
- Using mainly British, European and US sires, including Topspeed Kodak, Apina Norman, Sandy-valley Penmanship, Mr Miguel, Kings-Ransom Erdman,Delta Norbert SW/Red Sires:- A Linne, Gunnarstorp, Pell-Pers,
- Over 110 cows achieved LP100 in the last 14 yrs
- Four families have achieved three generations of LP100 on the farm, living at the same time